Our Mission is to promote and provide for the humane treatment of cats and dogs in Forsyth County, North Carolina.
Our Goal: In support of our mission, the Forsyth Humane Society (FHS) is committed to achieving a 90% save rate of shelter dogs and cats in Forsyth County by 2023.
The Forsyth Humane Society will achieve this goal through:
- Education – FHS will educate the public about the importance of spaying and neutering pets to decrease the number of homeless animals living in Forsyth County.
- Outreach – FHS will support people who want to keep their beloved animals in their homes, but need help with food, vet bills, pet supplies, or training and behavioral resources.
- Foster – FHS will provide foster care for adoptable animals when shelter space is limited or when animals require specialized care to become adoptable, such as very young puppies and kittens, or animals healing from medical issues.
- Adoption – FHS will find safe, loving homes for as many animals as possible.
- Care – FHS respects the life of every animal. We will provide physical and emotional care to each animal that comes through our doors.
Animal companionship enriches peoples’ lives. Animal companionship builds character and teaches compassion. The overpopulation of cats and dogs will be reduced through awareness, education, and community involvement. The compassionate treatment of animals positively impacts our community’s vitality.
Since 1941, the Forsyth Humane Society has acted as an advocate for the unwanted and uncared for feline and canine animals in our community. Our chapter began thanks in large part to D.D. and Lydia Schouler whose dog was trained to catch the bus, with a coin in his mouth, and bring Mr. Schouler his lunch each day. Years later, Mrs. Schouler honored the memory of such loyalty by establishing in her will the D.D.Schouler Fund for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. From there, we are now known as the Forsyth Humane Society.
Forsyth Humane Society has grown over the years and now serves as the leading nonprofit organization in the Triad providing animal resource information, humane education, pet food assistance and promotion of responsible pet care. Forsyth Humane Society is also the only open admission animal shelter in Forsyth Count